- Deputy Counsel to the President (March 2017-present)
- Provides legal advice to senior staff at the White House.
- Manages legal issues involving executive-branch agencies.
- Clerked for Judge Edward Becker on the Third Circuit and Justice Clarence Thomas on the D.C. Circuit Court and Supreme Court of the United States.
- Has argued appeals in every federal circuit court of appeals and multiple times before the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Deputy Assistant Attorney General in charge of the Appellate Staff of the Civil Division, 2001-06.
- Principal Deputy Associate Attorney General and Acting Associate Attorney General, 2006-08.
- Confirmed by Senate as Assistant Attorney General for the Civil Division, 2008-09.
- Attorney at Jones Day in Washington, DC, 1992-2001, 2009-17; partner.
AWARDS & HONORS
- Received Attorney General’s Distinguished Service Award, 2006.
- Received Department of Defense Medal for Exceptional Public Service, 2009.
- Received Department of Justice’s highest award, the Edmund Randolph Award for Exceptional Public Service, 2009.
- According to Attorney General Michael Mukasey, “widely regarded as one of the Justice Department’s most outstanding civil and appellate attorneys.”
- Selected by Chief Justice John Roberts to serve on the Advisory Committee for Appellate Rules from 2013 to 2017.
- Elected to membership in the American Academy of Appellate Lawyers in 2016.
- B.A., Princeton University, 1986; cum laude
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1989; cum laude
- Executive Editor, Harvard Law Review